Ascension Living keeping the PACE with seniors
Ascension Living’s Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) sites support the Mission of Ascension through their commitment to providing healthcare access to those seniors who are especially vulnerable due to their health conditions and limited resources. PACE is a unique model of care that helps adults 55 or older who are at high risk of hospitalization or other medical interventions stay living in their home and the community they love.
Ascension Living currently operates PACE programs in three locations – Ascension Living Alexian PACE in Chattanooga, Tennessee; Ascension Living HOPE in Wichita, Kansas; and Ascension Living PACE Michigan in Flint. The program is looking forward to expanding this option for seniors in additional markets in the future.
PACE provides all-inclusive wrap-around medical care and services supporting biopsychosocial needs. The main components – medical care, home care and adult day center services – are structured to foster independence for PACE participants. PACE’s interdisciplinary team is made up of 11 physicians and healthcare professionals who work directly with program participants and their caregivers to provide care for all medically necessary preventive, primary, acute and long-term care services. This allows PACE care teams to be proactive, responsive and creative in delivering participants’ care.A progressive care model, PACE focuses on providing access to care for all by working with the participant and providing the help they need when they need it, including:
- Dedicated full clinical team including primary care provider, registered nurse and social worker.
- Transportation to the PACE medical clinic and medical appointments.
- In-home support for daily living activities, such as meal preparation, personal care, housekeeping and laundry.
- Physical and occupational therapy at the PACE center and independent programs, and all needed durable medical equipment.
- Socialization, activities, meals and outings through the PACE adult day center.
- Medications, medical supplies and durable medical equipment ordered and delivered to the participant.
Extending support to the participant’s caregiver through disease management education, 24-hour on-call availability, medical and caregiver respite.PACE programs partner with Medicare and Medicaid to provide quality care and coverage. Even as a participant’s care needs increase, PACE programs can continue to provide services to keep them safe in their home. By providing support to a participant’s body, mind and spirit through a proactive, coordinated care team, PACE helps participants enjoy their lives in the comfort of their home and community.